Friday, April 15, 2011

Signs of Spring

In the race between my grass and me getting the mower deck finished, the grass won. Fortunately I hedged my bets and got the push mower prepped last weekend so it was ready to go. The lawn was looking pretty shaggy by mid-week, so I went ahead and push mowed it. The freshly cut lawn looked good, especially with the tulips and phlox starting to bloom.

Adding to the delay in getting the mower deck finished was taking time to get a new implement for the tractor this week. While I was sitting at the courthouse waiting on jury duty, I found a garden tractor-sized disc on Craigslist. It looked like it could be fun, the price was right, condition was OK, so I bought it. It turns out it is a Brinly, which appears to be THE attachment brand of choice for the garden tractor crowd. Obviously it needs some help cosmetically, but it is complete. L and I gave it a try after work one night this week. Even with three 25lb blocks on it, it didn't do much in the hard clay in the lot next to us. However, at the house site on the other side where the dirt was less compacted, it did OK. I'm not exactly sure what I am going to do with the disc long-term, but it is another fun little toy, and project, to add to the collection. 


Despite the distraction of the disc, I did get some work done on the mower deck this week. I got it all reassembled and the decals put on. It should be ready to mount this weekend. As I was putting the finishing touches on it last night, I heard a "squeak, squeak, squeak" coming from the Cat tractor. No, it wasn't the tractor begging for some long-overdue attention, it was a mouse, or, more accurately, mice. A mouse had crawled up inside the lower seat cushion frame and built a nest. Fortunately it looks like the nest was made from materials other than the seat cushion itself. This discovery came on the same day I had already disposed of a mouse that had fallen into our recycle bin. As I was cleaning up the seat cushion, I heard scratching once again from the same recycle bin. Yet another mouse had found it's way in there. After disposing of it, and the seat cushion mess, I put out a bunch of glue traps to try to bring the invasion under control. I suspect the combination of the return to colder weather, and the farmer tilling the field behind our house is what is driving them in. On a positive note, I'm taking the tilling of the field as a good sign the neighborhood expansion won't continue to behind our house. I guess we have to take both the good and the bad that comes with living "in the country". 


No comments:

Post a Comment