It's hard to believe it's almost been a month since I've posted. Traveling two weeks in a row put a damper on activity in the shop, but I made up for it this week; completing several updates to Johnny. I finally got the wheels back from the power coater last Sunday, and got the new tires mounted on Monday. I laid up some fiberglass reinforcement in the hood in a few places it was starting to crack. I repainted the grill and a few other pieces, and adjusted the drive belts. It all culminated in getting it all back together this morning.
L went with me on the maiden voyage. He was feeling under the weather, but I know that going for a ride on the tractor always cheers him up. He was definitely excited to go for a ride after the tractor was out of commission all week, but he quickly almost fell asleep riding with me around the yard. He went right down for a nap, and with C and N off at Grammy's house, I knew it was time to make hay, somewhat literally.
I have progressively cared for more and more of the creek and waterway behind our house in the 3 years (this weekend!) that we have lived here. My plan for this summer is to expand my mowing area across the waterway, so we will have grass all the way up to the field instead of horse weed, milk weed and who knows what else. To facilitate that, I enlisted Johnny's help, along with some implements I borrowed from a co-worker. The first order of business was to clear some of the dead plant matter. Johnny dutifully pulled the dethatcher as sort of a big rake to clear the dead grass and plant stems. Next came the spike aerator/spreader to put down some grass seed. I was impressed with how well it seemed to work. Hopefully we get the rain they are calling for this week to get the seed started. L woke up just as I was finishing the seeding, and since he didn't seem to have any interest in lunch I had him ride along as I was finishing up. I'm not sure who had more fun, me or him, but at least I didn't cry when it was time to put the tractor away. Hopefully he is feeling better tomorrow, so he, N, and I can get a few more rounds in this weekend.


No comments:
Post a Comment