Happy New Year!
It's hard to believe that it's been almost two weeks since I posted. It's not that we haven't had anything going on, I just haven't taken the time to sit down and post. My Christmas break wrapped up with plenty of things left that I didn't quite get done during my time off, but I was pretty satisfied with what I did get done, and got to spend alot of quality time with C, N and L.
The workbench remains full of monster trucks. They have officially transitioned from fun little projects to feeling alot like work. There are definitely advantages to doing them in batches rather than one at a time, but I let this batch grow a little too much. I still remain determined to get these done for this winter's Ebay season, but will be glad when they are done. The past two week's work has mostly been creating artwork for, and applying the decals. For the most part it has gone OK, but a couple trucks have been a challenge to get the colors just right.
With the decals wrapped up, most of my time on them this weekend has been spent painting on the lights and grill details. A few of the trucks were a little farther along and ready for clear coat. Clear coat is always a gamble. It helps seal in the decals so they can't peel off, and gives a nice glossy finish. The gamble is that the clear coat can be finicky, and if it doesn't cooperate I usually have to strip all the paint off and start all over. Of the three I painted last night, two cooperated and one did not. The paint developed little pinholes in the finish, and applying more paint just resulted in a bumpy, gooey mess. Back to square one on that one. At least the other two turned out OK.
Not all the workshop time this weekend was spent on monster trucks however. N and I spent some time working on a birdhouse kit I got for him for Christmas. It was just the right level of difficulty for him. I just had to get him going in the right direction, and he could screw the pieces together himself.



No comments:
Post a Comment