I tried really hard not to let the fact that this weekend was Mother's Day get overshadowed by my excitement of putting my Cat tractor in it's first tractor show. Hopefully I was at least moderately successful. That said, I did spend a good part of last week and this weekend preparing for the Lexington Route 66 Tractor Show.
While I was anxious to finish up all the last minute preparations Friday night, I did hold off long enough to let both boys watch the farmer planting corn behind our house. He didn't start until right after we had put them to bed, but who knows how many more years we will be able to watch that out our back window.
Despite getting a delayed start, I didn't have to stay up too late to finish getting ready. The biggest task was assembling my new weight distribution hitch. The hitch went together pretty well, except for the 1 3/4" nut on the hitch ball. I had mistakenly assumed a crescent wrench would work, but the space was too tight to get it in there. I made do with a pair of channel locks, at least good enough for trip to Lexington and back.
While pretty small, the Lexington Route 66 Tractor Show provided me with an ideal opportunity to show my tractor. C and L stayed home due to L's current mid-day nap schedule, but N went with me. He was excited to go to the show and to go see Baba and Grandpa. The show couldn't have gone better. The weather cooperated, and it was nice to be able to relax at B&G's house instead of spending the whole day at the show. As an added bonus, my tractor won a trophy for it's class at the show. It turned out to be a great day.
Of course it wouldn't be a DDT weekend if we stopped there. No, there were still plenty of things to do around the house. Shortly after getting home, I mowed the lawn. C watched the boys while I push mowed most of the yard, but needed me to watch the boys before I had a chance to mow the waterway with the tractor. Fortunately, both boys were game for riding along while I mowed, so I hitched up the wagon and both rode along.
Sunday was mostly a clean up day; putting the Cat back in the garage and putting all the hauling gear away, cleaning up the garage, and tidying up the deck shed. With another day of gorgeous weather, all us boys got to play outside quite a bit. C and N flew a kite, and L and I go the disc back out and tried to even out the transition between our yard and the new house next door. The neighbors also all came out, so the kids got to play together and we got to visit a bit. A great way to wrap up another great week.



No comments:
Post a Comment