The string of triple-digit days didn't stop us from working/playing outside entirely, and I dare say by the end we were almost getting used to it. I took some extra days off around the 4th of July holiday and couldn't resist working on a few projects. The main project in the workshop right now is redoing the garden wagon I found a couple months ago. I took the wheels and frame all apart, stripped them down and repainted them. The boys got to help with reassembly.
With the running gear all back together, I started on the body. My plan is to basically make a larger version of our Radio Flyer "Caterpillar" wagon, but in the style of the Amish wooden stake wagons. With the neighbor's help, I got the boards all cut and then sanded them down. After it finally cooled off a bit last Sunday, I set up my good ole paint booth and applied a nice clear finish. Next step will be the stake sides.
Despite a never ending backlog of projects, I couldn't resist adding just one more. C and I stopped into a local antique store looking for some home decor items. Leave it to me to find a garden tractor project while there. They had a nice little garden cart, which I'm sure would have ended up as a planter, sitting in someone's yard with flowers in it. I couldn't help but notice more than a passing similarity between it and a fairly obscure John Deere #8 garden cart made 1970-72. Of course I don't need another cart, but I couldn't help but bring it home thinking I would eventually turn it into a #8 cart replica. I'm not sure the background on the cart, but have found out that the same body was used for this brand, as well as dump carts for Toro and for John Deere. This version, unfortunately, is lacking a tongue and dumping mechanism, so coming up with those will require some patience, creativity, or a little bit of both. In the meantime, we already put it to use holding husks as the boys cleaned some of grandpa's sweet corn. It was delicious!
Although they are no longer the fastest, the boys' trucks had no problem performing a little task I set up for them. I changed the furnace filter and needed to break the old one down to fit in the trash can. Rather than do that manually, I let them pretend it was a crush-car for their power wheels. They had a ball and did a nice job smashing it down.

No comments:
Post a Comment