Three posts in one week, how crazy is that? I guess I'm making up for lost time.
One of the highlights of this weekend, and the inspiration for the title of this entry, is some new wildlife we have around the house. C and I had both noticed a "bald" spot in the middle of our phlox. I just figured the boys had done something to it. While we were all outside, C suggested maybe an animal had done it. As we took a closer look, we noticed something moving, and then a baby rabbit poked it's head out, followed by two more. We haven't seen many rabbits around lately, but I guess we now know what they have been up to.
More expected was some new feathered "friends". When C pruned the bushes a couple weeks ago, she discovered a robin nest in our burning bush. There were three eggs in the nest. We left this one alone, unlike the one we also found in the flue of our garage heater. On Friday, we found one baby bird and two eggs. On Saturday afternoon, there were two baby birds and one egg. And finally, on Sunday afternoon, we saw the third bird climbing out of it's egg. It has been great for the boys to watch, and I think it is the first time I had ever witnessed the hatching process that closely.
The most intrusive wildlife this weekend was of the 6-legged variety. I have been working in the garage the past few nights with the garage door open. About 8:30, the June bugs start to attack. Normally they are just annoying with their kamikaze crashes into lights and other things in the garage, or their loud buzzing when they get stuck somewhere. When one decided to climb up my back inside my shirt, that crossed the line.
Of course we didn't spend all weekend watching the wildlife. Far from it. We spent a fair amount of time getting ready for the garage sale. I also had the Cat 5K on Saturday morning. After that, we went out to check on the progress of the Cat Twenty Mr. Bates is restoring for the Cat Visitor Center. It's incredible to see the tractor all painted and with the tracks back on, when I was just out there two weeks ago and it was just stripped down to the engine and powertrain.
The boys didn't have much attention span for daddy and Mr. Bates talking old tractors, but they did enjoy checking out the forklift, loader and motor grader. I think some day they will appreciate seeing the exhibit in the visitor center and knowing they saw it as it was going together.
No comments:
Post a Comment