Tuesday, August 16, 2011

There Goes the Neighborhood

Its hard to believe it's the middle of the month and I am just now getting around to my first August post.  I guess I need to just resign myself to the every-other week pace, at least for the summer. 

The first big project after our vacation was organizing part of the workshop.  The back corner of the garage had become a catch-all for scrap lumber, large tools, tractor parts, and other odds and ends.  After struggling to get to something through the clutter one too many times, I set out to finally organize it.  This resulted in the construction of a couple shelving additions.  I still have some work to do finishing the shelves, and finishing my organizing, but it has already made a difference. 


The bigger news lately has not been in the workshop or around the yard, but all around us.  Big changes have been taking place to our little slice of paradise.  N had to bid farewell to his friend I and his family, but the new family has already moved in, with their 5 year old daughter and 4 year old son.  One of the spec houses down the street is also now occupied, and there is another 5 year old in that family.  It's almost like it's a prerequisite to have a 5 year old to live on our street. 

And while it is exciting to have some new kids in the neighborhood for N and L to play with, we are less excited by the most recent development.  It was bound to happen sooner or later, but one of the vacant lots to the East of us has sold.  To my surprise, it is not the corner lot, but the smaller lot next to the creek.  The neighbors across the street tipped us off last week that the lot was sold and excavation was about to begin. 

Of course that lot was my primary means of accessing the other side of the creek with Johnny for mowing, and the Ten for playing.  The prospect of soon losing that access prompted me to consider other options.  I had considered building a bridge for a while, which I probably could build strong enough for Johnny, but that isn't really an option for the Ten.  The Ten really doesn't need a bridge, and I have driven it several times across the creek.  The only problem in doing so is the creek bank is so soft that the Ten tends to sink and collapse the bank.  So, I decided to reinforce and raise the bank with some concrete blocks, and will just use a couple 2x10's to get Johnny across.  The block work is done, but I still need to finish filling it in to raise the bank, and try to get some grass started there as well. 


Finding loose dirt to fill the creek bank won't be a problem, as excavation did start this week on the new house next door.  C said so far they have been doing more measuring than digging, which is not surprising considering the house looks to be about as big as they can fit on the lot.  One corner touches the edge of the set-back from the creek, and the other can't be more than a foot or two more than the minimum of 5 feet from the lot line.  Fortunately we border the back yard, which has to be at least 20 feet per the building code.  From the looks of it, it probably won't be much more than that. 


And speaking of dirt, it has become almost impossible lately to keep the boys out of the "dirt box" when we go outside.  With the lack of rain lately, it is equally impossible to keep a significant amount of that dirt from coming inside with the boys when they come in.  Oh well, boys will be boys.



No comments:

Post a Comment