Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cornfield Crusin'

Hopefully tomorrow the weatherman is right and we start to get a break from the heat we have had the past week.  Since late last week the daily highs have been climbing from the upper 80's to mid 90's.  The high temps put a a little damper on our weekend activities.  We let N stay up and watch the fireworks Friday night.  It seemed like they started later than normal, but he really enjoyed them.  I ran in the 5K Saturday with L, and although it was already warm at 7:30 AM, the run felt good.  When you are pushing a stroller, it's not so much about what your race time was, but how many people you passed, and I was able to pass quite a few. 


The rest of the weekend was all about trying to keep cool.  We decided it was too hot and skipped the Cherry Fest Saturday night.  That upset N, but a friend tipped us off that there is a carnival in a nearby town in a couple weeks that lets the parents ride with young kids for free, and since Cherry Fest requires tickets for the parents as well, we were thinking of holding off until that one anyway.  It will be interesting to see how brave he is this year for going on rides. 

Despite the heat, I couldn't resist the urge to do some kind of project over the weekend.  Sunday afternoon I decided to take my disc apart so I could repaint it.  I got it disassembled and got the rust off of most of the pieces with a wire wheel.  I called that good for Sunday, but got those pieces primed and painted this week.  The garage this week should make a good oven for baking the paint. 

Tonight I got the urge to get the Cat out and take it for a ride.  I wanted to get a picture of it in the corn field, and at the rate the corn is growing, it will be too tall pretty soon, especially if it rains the next two days and I have to wait for things to dry out again.  L and I took the tractor for the longest ride yet, all the way up and down the field side of the creek.  That was enough to get L and I plenty hot and dusty, so we called that good and put the tractor back away.  It ran pretty well, and started twice on the first crank, so it was a nice little ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment